Monday, June 4, 2012

The One True Church

When I speak with Mormons, what is the most common question they ask me?
"What church do you go to?"

Even though all the nuances are not verbalized, this question packs a punch in the Mormon mind.  I think it is one of the many things a Christian has no clue about when a Mormon asks this question.

This is a small sample of what it meant -to me- to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in terms of  "church"...
  • It's the only true and living church on the face of the earth.  Conversely, if your church is not the LDS church, it is not true and living. ~1 Nephi 14:10 "Behold there are save two churches only: the one is the church of the Lamb of God, and the other is the church of the devil; wherefore, whoso belongeth not to the church of the Lamb of God belongeth to that great church, which is the mother of abominations; and she is the whore of all the earth."
  • The LDS church is just like the one Jesus established and is the true, restored church.  I may really like you and you may know some truth, but if you go somewhere that is NOT the LDS church, you are going to a church that is in apostasy. Therefore, I am very suspicious of what you and your pastor say about any religious topic.  I will be very kind and loving to you and your pastor, but I will likely dismiss in my mind most of what is said and may even wonder if your pastor is only in it for the money.  ~JSH 1:19 "I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were and abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt..."
  • I believe the LDS church is the true one; and so you probably believe your church is the true one. 

When I was Mormon, I was under some wrong assumptions about what a Christian thought  "church" meant.  I want to bring clarity to my LDS family and friends about those wrong assumptions I had; they might have them too.  I also want to share what I found out about "church" from the Bible.

The word “church” comes from the Greek word ekklesia which is defined as “an assembly” or “called-out ones.” There really is one true church.  The true church in not a church building, but rather a group/body of believers.  The one true church consists of those who are righteous by faith in Jesus Christ, wherever they may assemble.  Local churches are simply places where local believers gather together.  It does not matter what the name on the building is or what any specific group calls themselves.  The church was birthed and officially began 50 days after Jesus' resurrection.  3,000 people became believers in response to Peter's message that day; meaning they became part of the "body" or "church."  Someone who belongs to Christ does not need to belong to an organization that claims to have His name in the title of their church. The early followers of Jesus were not originally called “Christians.” Rather, they were known as a Jewish sect called “the Way” (Acts 9:2; 19:9, 23; 24:14, 22) and every church had their own name based on their location (church at Jerusalem, church at Corinth and so on). 

About the church; consider these verses:
 
 -What is "his body"?-

~Ephesians 1:22-23 "And hath put all things under his [Jesus] feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.



-Now that we know that his body is the church, notice where He does and does not dwell- 
~Acts 17:24 "God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands" 
Romans 8:9 "... that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."
Ephesians 3:17 "That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith..." 
 
 -What role do believers play in His church?-
Ephesians 2:21-22 "In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit." 


God gave us a promise: "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."  ~1John 1:9 When we are of the same mind and agree with God about our sinfulness, we can rely on God doing what He says He will do. We can know we are cleansed from all our sins/unrighteousness.  We can also can know that God WILL do it because He is faithful, and He is morally right (in other words, just) in cleansing us if we confess our sins. He is just to cleanse us because the payment for our sins have been paid already. Whoever has been cleansed by His blood belongs to Him; those are the members of His church. It doesn't matter what earthly church you go to, it only matters if you are "found in Him" through faith. Faith means trusting that He will do what He says He will do. Do you believe that God is just and faithful in forgiving you and declaring you righteous because of what Jesus did; OR do you believe that God is not just and faithful in forgiving you and declaring you righteous because it still must be what you do?

Why does it matter that I clarify what "church" means?
Because, when I share with you (especially if you are Mormon) you must know my heart.  I am not trying to convert you to my local church. I do not believe a person has to be a member of my local church in order to belong to Christ. I will not try to talk you into being baptized into my particular denomination.  Like I said, the church is the made up of the body of believers - or simply- anyone who is righteous by faith in Jesus Christ.  It's not a "church" thing like I used to believe in Mormonism.  Jesus is not the church and the church is not Jesus.  I am speaking of something beyond your relationship with an earthly church organization; I am speaking of your relationship with your Creator.  The main point is this: are right with God; are you righteous? Those who have be clothed in His righteousness are the members of His true church.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment